Monday, December 6, 2010

AGL rebate Freedom Plan scam

An agent claiming to be from AGL knocked on my door today. (7/12/2010).
He had a AGL Badge on him. He said, that from "their" records they have found that I have not been getting a rebate for my electricity and gas bills. Then he takes out a large application form and asks me for my name ?!! Bull crap. Thats where my suspicion started.

1> How on earth does the guy know that I am paying a hefty energy price... but does not even know my name?

Anyways, I let him continue. He keeps repeating the key words "no contract, no joining fee". Then I asked for a brochure from AGL having the details of this rebate – he says I will have to go online to find it.

2> What kind of an AGL guy comes with an application form but nothing else?

Then without asking me anything, he ticks off the 'AGL Freedom Plan' and writes a 3% discount on my gas and electricity. Then he strikes off the termination fee. I just tried to negotiate for more discount. He talks as if he is the one who decides the rebate % and not AGL. WOw !

3> If AGL has a standard plan – then wouldn't the discount be same for everyone. Shouldn't the discount be pinted on the form, instead of a text box for the guy to handfill?

Then he hands out this application for me to sign. I refuse. I said I cannot sign anything I do not understand. So I ask him for time. I ask him his contact details, he says he cannot give – coz he cannot come back. I said can I go to AGL office and apply for this rebate – he says no.

4> How can AGL start a rebate plan which cannot be approached directly by its customers? Why does it have to be through these door knocking agents only?

Then I realize, this guy first came in saying he's gonna give me a rebate. But where the hell is the rebate? He is only trying to put me on a AGL Freedom plan.

5> This is definitely fishy. There is no rebate in this whole thing. I later visited AGL website and found that rebate is mostly for pensioners only.

Also after he left I saw the fineprint in the application form of which I took a copy(it had my details on it). It says the deal is being struck with CPM Australia. Even to cancel this plan, I will have to go through CPM.

6> What crap? Why would I want to even deal with any 3rd party company like CPM.

All these smell very very fishy.

Now comes the trickiest question of all... why would these guys want to put innocent people onto the AGL Freedom Plan?? They're definitely trying to trick people into taking up this plan. But why? Whats the catch?


PS: AGL is a good company. I have been their customer for a few months now and never had any issue. I am not sure if these agents/door knockers are really AGL agents. If they are then AGL needs to do a big time work making their door visits more professional and genuine. I still smell foul. Would advice fellow SydneySiders to stay away from such suspicous offers or rebate etc.

5 comments:

  1. I had the same thing happen that day, just told him to go away - he was quite pushy until he realised that I was suspicious of his motives, then he backed right down. In Newtown, Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about all of that but normally the customer have to be aware that there is different options;fellas like this guy are only DODGY but we are not all like that.When you are angry about a cashier you are not about all I think so..So don't put every doorknockers in the same bag PLEASE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guy like that (fat, dark looking) came just now. I told him to come two hours later. It does look strange. I'm going to call police to be here when he comes and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've experienced something similar. But in my case, they've told me that I should be receiving an AGL rebate through my company (Energy Australia in my case). They asked me for my last Energy Bill and I told them that I haven't got it because I destroy it as soon as I get it. I was obviously afraid of them stealing my personal information. I told them to give me written information about this rebate and they've told me that they haven't got it. So I told them to not come to my house again unless they've got written information about this. I've called AGL and they've clarified me that AGL doesn't give rebates nor discounts through other Energy companies.
    In summary, their approach was a lie. They might wanted me to change to AGL and earn their commission, or maybe something worse such as identity theft.
    So... everybody... Beware.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It went like this today at the front door: "Hi I'm from Energy Australia", (some sort of ID around his neck and a clipboard). "Just making sure you've got the rebate on your last two bills. Can I see a copy of them please?" My reply: "I'm not with Energy Australia". Him: "Well, if you show me the bills I can check whether you've got the rebate", me: "And how can I verify your details? What number should I call?" His reply: "Just call the number on the front of your bill!" Me: "Oh so that number is supposed to reach Energy Australia is it? When I've already told you I'm not with Energy Australia!" He turns and walks away quickly. Very strange, very fishy. Beware! Randwick (Sydney)

    ReplyDelete